27 July, 2006

barefoot, in the snow, carrying my donkey

It's my birthday in a week's time and I am going to be 29. So next year I'm going to be thirty. And, as little as I have done with my life so far, I'd like to say this: I have Psi, I was published at a younger age than T. S. Eliot and I have some wonderful people to call friends. So not absolutely everything sucks.

Damnit. I miss 25.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm 25 and it's just an age. where i am in my life is where i am, i like 25 but it's just a number in the long run. 29 can be great and so can 30. happy bday hon, hope it rocks!

Laurel-li said...

Intellectually, I know that. It's just... 30. I've nearly been alive for 3 decades. I knew a time before the VCR, before the personal computer, before the CD and the DVD and digital media in general, when albums came primarily on vinyl, television was the it (especially if you had one with a remote control. Ooh, ah.) Before roller blades. Before grunge. Before postmodernism became an institution. My first single was Sweet and Sour by the Takeaways; my first full length album was Different Light by the Bangles. I saw John Hughes' films at the movies. (Though I am proud to say I never crimped my hair.)

And I haven't done anything much. I have a chronic illness which is pronanly going to to keep me from doing anything much. By now, I should have changed the world.... (Oh yes, I have realistic expectations.)

Anonymous said...

you can still change the world and do something. think quantum leap, sam changed the world one life at a time. think positive.

Anonymous said...

Up until you're pushing up the daisies, you still have as much chance to change the world, whether 17 (Joan of Arc at the siege of Orleans), 20's (Da Vinci became a master in his own right at 26), 30's (Most of van Gogh's work was produced between 30-40), 40's (Einstein won his nobel prize at 42, Hitler became leader of the Nazi party at 45), 60's (Churchill didn't become Prime Minster of the UK until 66)..
You get the idea.

People have acheived great things at many stages through their lives. Just because you haven't made your mark before 30 isn't the end of your chance.. Until you're dead you have as much chance to change the world today as you did yesterday and will have tomorrow.