Nicholas Jones is an artist based in Melbourne who makes sculpture from books scrounged from the bins at the University of Melbourne's library. And some of his stuff is extraordinary.


I'm not really sure what to make of these, on the whole. My instincts go, "No! That poor book!" But at the same time, it's an interesting thing, re-interpreting the book as an art object, rather than the composition of words within it. It makes me wonder to what extent the form of the sculpture reflects the content of the book. For those who are interested there's an interview with him and more pictures here.


I'm not really sure what to make of these, on the whole. My instincts go, "No! That poor book!" But at the same time, it's an interesting thing, re-interpreting the book as an art object, rather than the composition of words within it. It makes me wonder to what extent the form of the sculpture reflects the content of the book. For those who are interested there's an interview with him and more pictures here.
1 comment:
What interesting work! This kind of book art, called Altered Books, is becoming quite common. I know several people who do it, although this fellow's work is quite interesting! I agree, one part of me screams at the defacing of the book!
Post a Comment