This was inspired by Steve's post about group intelligence. Basically it was too long as a comment so here it is:
I would like to say this for the benefit of all who know me: whenever I accuse somebody (or the population) of stupidity is because the individual (or group) in question have failed to use the intelligence they possess, not because they genuinely lack intelligence. As far as I'm concerned people who are simply not bright have nothing to be ashamed of; they are as they are and deserve all the sympathy and help more intelligent people can give them and, for one, have no problem with people in this position. However, people who have intelligence and fail to use it deserve the descriptor of stupid. Common sense may not be common but it bloody well should be because Steve is right. We are considered (or at least consider ourselves) highly intelligent and, on the whole, we certainly possess intelligence. The problem is we don't use it. Now this is true of everyone now and then. My problem is that it, in most cases, it happens more often than not. Oh, and believing other people to be stupid doesn't pump my ego. It just makes me depressed over the state of the world and humanity.
And I mostly agree with Steve (being the anti-authoritarian, anti-establishment type that I am - who knew?) that alot of it has to do with society. People are encouraged to think what everyone thinks, to not think for themselves, through the media, through primary and secondary (and, to a certain extent, even tertiary) education, through societal conditioning (e.g. parents and friends), work environments, popular culture ("you too can be a unique individual, just by wearing what I wear and liking what I like and thinking what I think"), and, yes, on occasion (not always by the way), religion (though I would like to say here that there is a big difference between the faith and the institution that is "religion" and it is the latter that does what we are talking about. I mean, look at Richard Chin.)
So allow me to encourage everyone to think for themselves, make up their own minds and (please God) reach intelligent and informed decisions. Though I know no one in this group really needs to be told that (and I love you all) which is a bloody good thing. Oh, and please don't get aggressive/angry/upset at other people who do the same, even if they reach a different conclusion. Rational discussion is a good thing and the other approach just discourages people from thinking at all.
By the way, guys, remember that we all have above average intelligence so, on the whole, we actually are more intelligent than most other people. Which is a huge responsibility (and burden) as much as it is something to enjoy and gloat over (and be persecuted for.)
I would like to say this for the benefit of all who know me: whenever I accuse somebody (or the population) of stupidity is because the individual (or group) in question have failed to use the intelligence they possess, not because they genuinely lack intelligence. As far as I'm concerned people who are simply not bright have nothing to be ashamed of; they are as they are and deserve all the sympathy and help more intelligent people can give them and, for one, have no problem with people in this position. However, people who have intelligence and fail to use it deserve the descriptor of stupid. Common sense may not be common but it bloody well should be because Steve is right. We are considered (or at least consider ourselves) highly intelligent and, on the whole, we certainly possess intelligence. The problem is we don't use it. Now this is true of everyone now and then. My problem is that it, in most cases, it happens more often than not. Oh, and believing other people to be stupid doesn't pump my ego. It just makes me depressed over the state of the world and humanity.
And I mostly agree with Steve (being the anti-authoritarian, anti-establishment type that I am - who knew?) that alot of it has to do with society. People are encouraged to think what everyone thinks, to not think for themselves, through the media, through primary and secondary (and, to a certain extent, even tertiary) education, through societal conditioning (e.g. parents and friends), work environments, popular culture ("you too can be a unique individual, just by wearing what I wear and liking what I like and thinking what I think"), and, yes, on occasion (not always by the way), religion (though I would like to say here that there is a big difference between the faith and the institution that is "religion" and it is the latter that does what we are talking about. I mean, look at Richard Chin.)
So allow me to encourage everyone to think for themselves, make up their own minds and (please God) reach intelligent and informed decisions. Though I know no one in this group really needs to be told that (and I love you all) which is a bloody good thing. Oh, and please don't get aggressive/angry/upset at other people who do the same, even if they reach a different conclusion. Rational discussion is a good thing and the other approach just discourages people from thinking at all.
By the way, guys, remember that we all have above average intelligence so, on the whole, we actually are more intelligent than most other people. Which is a huge responsibility (and burden) as much as it is something to enjoy and gloat over (and be persecuted for.)
1 comment:
i don't know about me being above average intelligence even if my head is a bin of trivial knowledge. there are certainly people out there that know more than me.
as for what steve and you said, i tend to agree. although my main point is about mob mentatlity. when one person says 'corn is yucky' it's easier for other people to say that as well.
so instead of being an individual and making an intelligent opinion like 'no, i love corn' it's easier to just go along with the crowd. which sadly IS what society tends to propogate no matter how much us americans tote all our individulaity and diversity. just look at some of our t.v. i mean come on...the swan? jerry springer?
one can only hope there are more people out there with the courage and wherewithall to actually use their intelligence, be humble enough to know they don't know everything and be willing to opening debate and grow as a person and a society will increase and make this world a better place.
Post a Comment