My 'blog has been compared to an idyllic pastoral setting and, as such, I have this to say. Here there are no shepherds. There are no milkmaids. And even if there were they would not be writing bad romantic poetry to one another to express their adoration. Rather they would be rollicking naked together under some haystack because where is the point in the country if you can't use it as a symbol of fertility in all things. No one here sleeps under hills or, if they do, it's not the kind of sleep one wakes up from. Ever. It is, in fact, quite permanent because, you see, people can die here. No king will wander in and declare that this is a much purer way of life than having to actually run his country and thus move his court into the neighbourhood without so much as a by-your-leave. Here no one willingly turns off their brain or sleeps with the first person who comes along because he or she was just too cute to bear. In fact, there is only one faery and she isn't of the sort to manipulate people's dreams or force people into relationships that will only end badly (though she is, on occasion, a fan of farce). And there are certainly no nymphs, married or otherwise. There is even a lack of nature, though I suppose I could write in a tree here or there. While sexuality is down to personal choice here, there aren't many farmers chasing girls or boys across hillsides, on the whole. Oh, and did I mention no shepherds?
I defy Arcadia to find a foothole in this blog. Defy, I say!
3 comments:
What do you mean "Arcadia with fairies"? A Midsummer Nights Dream was a pastoral setting as is the Prothalamion by Spenser. Fairies keep showing up as part of that whole pastoral thing.
yess Lamb, mmmmmmmmm
It suddenly occurs to me that part of the previously-quoted Eliot is actually a reference to Spenser's poem: "Sweet Thames, run softly...". Don't know what this says about the presence of absence of Arcadia.
Post a Comment