'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the bath
Of all the western stars, until I die.
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down:
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
From 'Ulysses'
Alfred, Lord Tennyson
To sail beyond the sunset, and the bath
Of all the western stars, until I die.
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down:
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
From 'Ulysses'
Alfred, Lord Tennyson
9 comments:
At the risk of looking stupid, the point of this was?
Roughly the same reason I posted the lyrics to Ken Bruce has Gone Mad.
It might be a way of expressing something LL hasn't been able to recently; it might have been the joy of finding something new and beautiful that she didn't know before; or it might be an emo-esque highlighting of how she feels.
I don't know. I haven't read it yet (I typically find reading poetry to be something that requires a lot of mental effort, and honestly, I'm not in the gear to do so right now).
What Talen said. Meaning all of the above. ;)
Well, not new. But beautiful.
Yet another reason why I am not in the same league as the rest of you
A differnet league, but not necessarily a worse one. Dont worry man, im there too.
Silly boys! Same league, different knowledge base. As far as I was aware, I'm the only one here with an intense interest in poetry. And many many people dislike Tennyson. Hell, for one.
Im not so targeted in my dislike. I dislike all poets :p
Don't feel so lonely, boys. I'm right there with you ^_^;
Post a Comment