19 February, 2006

if my legs were longer

I find this fascinating. Layers on layers of art; creation piled on creation, artifice on artifice, Plato and Shelley and Rimbaudt. What is art and how is art, life, heart, dreaming, the way fingers can dance.

To be clear, 'this' is an Australian artist named Fiona Hall. Psi and I saw a small sample of her work when we visited the New South Wales Art Gallery (mostly from the Divine Comedy and the Seven Deadly Sins series) and then we happened upon a folly in the Botannical Gardens which she had designed for the Bicentennial.

I just find it fascinating that some of her work has so many levels of creation. Creating a collage purely to photograph: it's... odd. But very cool. I mean, why? And what does it do? It's like rhyme. Nifty concept, but it baffles me.

Does anyone have a theory?

No comments: