This week's cause? Doing my bit for accuracy in expression and Saving the Drabble! For those who don't know (as I didn't until Mum sent me an email with a link to the entry on Wikipedia a few days ago) a 'drabble' is a short story of exactly 100 words. The idea is thought to have originated in the UK amongst sci-fi fans in the '80s, the 100-word format established by the Birmingham University SF Society in a simple writing game with the following rules:
So now I have this urge to write a drabble. Possibly one made up of one word sentences. I dare ya.
For those curious, this site has daily drabbles and a weekly challenge, while this one offers weekly topics.
Drabble Rules: The One Hundred Word VariantThe entry on the drabble in Wikipedia talks about the difference language make to writing a drabble: "the Finnish two-word sentence "Heittäytyisinköhän seikkailuun?" translates to English as "What if I should throw myself into an adventure?", a sentence of nine words." Which feels like a challenge.
by David B. Wake
Introduction
Drabble is played sitting around a fire, while sipping brandy and partaking of pleasant conversation with friends. The first person to finish a novel wins.
A Doubtful History
The first game of Drabble, a name coined in a 'Monty Python' sketch, was played at the beginning of the last century. The winner was Mary Shelley with 'Frankenstein' and Polidori, who didn't actually finish during that stormy weekend, came second with 'The Vampyre.'
The Rules
'One hundred words' must be EXACTLY one hundred words: not a syllable more, not a letter less. In addition, up to fifteen words (title, sub-titles and the like) are allowed.
Hyphenated-words-are-argued-about.
The End
So now I have this urge to write a drabble. Possibly one made up of one word sentences. I dare ya.
For those curious, this site has daily drabbles and a weekly challenge, while this one offers weekly topics.
1 comment:
Knew you couldn't resist it!
My friend Ruth http://rooruu.blogspot.com/ has been writing some.
Post a Comment