Reading over Duncan's blog, there seems to be a certain amount of misunderstanding regarding my use of Matt 7:1-6 in my previous post. So, to clarify.
I certainly feel that Matt 7:1-6 is not calling upon us to avoid expressing concerns about the sins we perceive in others just because we are also sinful. Rather it indicates that we should bear in mind our own sinful natures in doing so and not mete out condemnation rather than forgiveness and understanding, as how we respond to others is how both others and, more importantly, God will respond to us. We are called upon to reveal God in the way we live - not only to non-christians but also to the christians around us - and this means dealing with them in a godly fashion, being aware that we are just like them and therefore are not in a position to condemn them for their actions.
And here is my problem with the reactions I was receiving from people in the discussion on Matt's blog: the responses, and the manner of said responses, was not in keeping with that. Yes, we should be helping one another along in our christian walk (yes, I know, insert cliché here), protecting one another from stumbling. We should not, however, take a 'holier-than-thou' attitude or, indeed, assume that we have God's own opinion on the matter when he has chosen not to explicitly inform us of his point of view on the matter. In the end, what we have is a group of people informing me that my actions are wrong because they feel they are wrong or because they personally, in the same situation, would not be capable of holding themselves to the standard that Psi and I have chosen.
Okay, that comes across as though I feel I am superior to such people but, honestly, I don't. This simply happens to be an area in which I do not struggle, while there are other areas in my christian life with which I have great difficulty; prayer, for example.
In the end, I feel I was justified in using Matt 7:1-6 in my previous post. The verse reminds us to react in a godly and righteous fashion when faced with what we fear may be a fellow christian falling off the wagon. And, just to remind you, reacting in a godly fashion is showing love and respect for both God and his people.
Personally, I feel that, far too often, christians use passages like Gal 6:1 as an excuse to 'rebuke' people when they disapprove of their behaviour and have no other grounds on which to criticise them. Indeed, if you look at the passage in context, it basically says just the same as Matt 7:1-6.
I certainly feel that Matt 7:1-6 is not calling upon us to avoid expressing concerns about the sins we perceive in others just because we are also sinful. Rather it indicates that we should bear in mind our own sinful natures in doing so and not mete out condemnation rather than forgiveness and understanding, as how we respond to others is how both others and, more importantly, God will respond to us. We are called upon to reveal God in the way we live - not only to non-christians but also to the christians around us - and this means dealing with them in a godly fashion, being aware that we are just like them and therefore are not in a position to condemn them for their actions.
And here is my problem with the reactions I was receiving from people in the discussion on Matt's blog: the responses, and the manner of said responses, was not in keeping with that. Yes, we should be helping one another along in our christian walk (yes, I know, insert cliché here), protecting one another from stumbling. We should not, however, take a 'holier-than-thou' attitude or, indeed, assume that we have God's own opinion on the matter when he has chosen not to explicitly inform us of his point of view on the matter. In the end, what we have is a group of people informing me that my actions are wrong because they feel they are wrong or because they personally, in the same situation, would not be capable of holding themselves to the standard that Psi and I have chosen.
Okay, that comes across as though I feel I am superior to such people but, honestly, I don't. This simply happens to be an area in which I do not struggle, while there are other areas in my christian life with which I have great difficulty; prayer, for example.
In the end, I feel I was justified in using Matt 7:1-6 in my previous post. The verse reminds us to react in a godly and righteous fashion when faced with what we fear may be a fellow christian falling off the wagon. And, just to remind you, reacting in a godly fashion is showing love and respect for both God and his people.
Personally, I feel that, far too often, christians use passages like Gal 6:1 as an excuse to 'rebuke' people when they disapprove of their behaviour and have no other grounds on which to criticise them. Indeed, if you look at the passage in context, it basically says just the same as Matt 7:1-6.
1 comment:
Yep. I agree with you. Assurance often pushes us to arrogance, (that is I am right, and you are 'low' for disagreeing), which I think is something we need to be weary about. As matt's said in the past, its all relational, relationship gives you the context within which to rebuke.
But theres the qaulifer and perhaps the warning in Gal 6 also, "those who are spiritual". Seriously, I don't think I'm even close to be considered spiritual... I'm a work in progress, and one day, in God's timing, through God's mercy, I'll progress. So I wanna be careful speaking about something in anothers life.
Duncan
Anyway, I've rambled enough.
Post a Comment