Matt's blog has an ongoing discussion about evangelism. And I have this to say. (I have said all of this, basically verbatim, over on Matt's blog, as well.)
There are so many things about the concept of evangelism that stick in the craw of the world and make discussing it very difficult. So, here's my point of view on the matter. Bear in mind that a lot of christians disagree with me, occassionally with good reason, and that this is only my point of view or approach.
As christians, we are called to tell others about God, about Christ, about salvation. I can't at the moment think of any bible passages that actually say why we should (help, anyone?) but here is what I think is the basic logic behind it:
1. God is good and perfect in every way.
2. He created us perfect - He saw that we were good - and gave us a choice whether or not to respect him or to go our own way (free will, without which we cannot love him and love is what He wants - I will explain this if people would like to know)
3. When we chose to rebel against Him (thus choosing death over life), He sacrificed Himself to save us, to give us a new chance at salvation every moment during our lives.
(This is a very basic rundown of christian belief.)
4. So, those of us who have accepted this view of the world and His salvation look at those people we care about (as Psi said, this should be everyone) who haven't accepted Him and think, "Dagnabit, they are all going to die! We must do something!" (As Psi said, taking care of those you love includes expressing concern over things they do that you view as hazardous to their health.)
5. On top of that, God has told us to do so and part of being a christian is being called upon to obey God, both because He is God and because we love Him.
However, while we are all called upon to spread God's word, the bible also states that only some people are born with the ability to evangelise or the role of evangelist. (This is a side issue, really. It fits with the apparent view, these days, that if you aren't in ministry, then you aren't a christian. Which is really beside the point. I digress.)
So, where does this leave us?
My feelings on the matter is that I suck at evangelism. I am happy to answer any questions that come my way, and to talk to people about my faith but I can't walk up to people in the street and ask if they've heard the Good News. That said, I feel very strongly that evangelism needs to be dealt with delicately, with respect for God and the people involved. ("Love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your mind and all your soul. This is the great and first commandment and the second is like it: love your neighbour as you love yourself. Upon these two hang all the law and the prophets.")
Respect for God: poor evangelism gives christianity a bad name. (Hey, we're back to Matt's original post!) Attempting to bully people into christianity (what Psi termed "rotisserie-style" evangelism) makes God look bad if it doesn't work, and makes for christians with unbiblical points of view if it does (again, making God and christianity look bad.) It isn't up to us to make people into christians, it's up to God. We are just helping along the way. And I really dislike the approach that says "as long as we get them into the church, we can sort any problems out later," mainly because they never do get sorted out.
Respect for others: dealing gently with the beliefs of others is important. ("Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.") If you want people to have respect for you and your faith, you need to have respect for them and their beliefs too. Too many evangelising christians forget this, and i can understand why. But that doesn't make it the right approach. Deal with people the way you would want them to deal with you in the same situation.
So, given this definition of evangelism, talking to one's friends comes under the same banner and needs to be dealt with in the same loving manner. And in the end, there is no point in arguing with someone who is not a position to accept what you have to say. Which brings us to the topic of...well...silent evangelism. James says: "Show me your faith without works,and I will show you my faith by what I do." Actions speak louder than words and James indicates that one's actions should reveal one's faith. My non-christian friends all know that I am a christian and, since I do not feel that any of them are in a position to heed me in discussion about religion (not, I hasten to add, a negative reflection on you guys, you are free to believe what you will, this is simply my perception of the position - if you disagree, then tell me and we can talk to your heart's content!), the most that I can do is exhibit my faith in my daily life. Not that I always succeed, but I do my best, with God's help. Again, this is a matter of having respect for God (and not trying to bully my friends into believing what I believe) and for my friends (who hold different beliefs, which is their choice and their God-given right.)
Evangelism does not, however, set out to make everyone to same. God created the variety found amongst people when he gave us free will and I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to change that. (After all, He's perfect, He doesn't make mistakes.) If the whole world became christian, we would all still be unique, each of us different, with our own points of view, our own foibles and brilliance, our own likes and dislikes. God doesn't aim to make us all the same (however much the state does, sorry, my problem, I'll deal with it...;)). In fact, he doesn't aim to make us anything: once again, He has given us free will, the ability and the right to choose. Would the world be a better place if we were all christians? I suppose it's possible. But, as long as we are sinful and imperfect, I rather doubt it.
That said, Steve also has a valid point here. Too many christians tend to take the route of "my way is the only way to heaven". And that indicates a major flaw in the way they are viewing christianity. There is only one route to heaven or salvation and that is Christ. Only accepting Christ's sacrifice and allowing Him to intercede on your behalf will gain anyone salvation. I cannot emphasise this enough: Christ is the only road to salvation. Anyone who tells you differently is in the process of losing their way. Thus, it is not God or evangelism or christianity which is creating that problem, but individual christians (heh heh, and free will!). Individual christians who (like all of us, I must add) are not perfect, are sinful and very capable of taking the easy way out. (Again, something I will explain if people want to know.)
Similarly, on the topic of the personal nature of spirituality, I would agree with Steve that it doesn't preclude speaking about it with the people you care about, basically for the afore mentioned reasons (see all that long way up the top of this post).
Oh, and I just wanted to add, just because I'm called upon to love everyone, doesn't lessen the enormous affection I have for you all. You guys are the coolest! On top of that, if anyone does want to talk about my beliefs (whether out of curiosity or for the sake of genuine consideration), I am always willing to talk about it without bludgeoning you. You too have free will. (Sorry to keep going on about it: it's of major importance in christianity and is much overlooked!)
I love you all.
There are so many things about the concept of evangelism that stick in the craw of the world and make discussing it very difficult. So, here's my point of view on the matter. Bear in mind that a lot of christians disagree with me, occassionally with good reason, and that this is only my point of view or approach.
As christians, we are called to tell others about God, about Christ, about salvation. I can't at the moment think of any bible passages that actually say why we should (help, anyone?) but here is what I think is the basic logic behind it:
1. God is good and perfect in every way.
2. He created us perfect - He saw that we were good - and gave us a choice whether or not to respect him or to go our own way (free will, without which we cannot love him and love is what He wants - I will explain this if people would like to know)
3. When we chose to rebel against Him (thus choosing death over life), He sacrificed Himself to save us, to give us a new chance at salvation every moment during our lives.
(This is a very basic rundown of christian belief.)
4. So, those of us who have accepted this view of the world and His salvation look at those people we care about (as Psi said, this should be everyone) who haven't accepted Him and think, "Dagnabit, they are all going to die! We must do something!" (As Psi said, taking care of those you love includes expressing concern over things they do that you view as hazardous to their health.)
5. On top of that, God has told us to do so and part of being a christian is being called upon to obey God, both because He is God and because we love Him.
However, while we are all called upon to spread God's word, the bible also states that only some people are born with the ability to evangelise or the role of evangelist. (This is a side issue, really. It fits with the apparent view, these days, that if you aren't in ministry, then you aren't a christian. Which is really beside the point. I digress.)
So, where does this leave us?
My feelings on the matter is that I suck at evangelism. I am happy to answer any questions that come my way, and to talk to people about my faith but I can't walk up to people in the street and ask if they've heard the Good News. That said, I feel very strongly that evangelism needs to be dealt with delicately, with respect for God and the people involved. ("Love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your mind and all your soul. This is the great and first commandment and the second is like it: love your neighbour as you love yourself. Upon these two hang all the law and the prophets.")
Respect for God: poor evangelism gives christianity a bad name. (Hey, we're back to Matt's original post!) Attempting to bully people into christianity (what Psi termed "rotisserie-style" evangelism) makes God look bad if it doesn't work, and makes for christians with unbiblical points of view if it does (again, making God and christianity look bad.) It isn't up to us to make people into christians, it's up to God. We are just helping along the way. And I really dislike the approach that says "as long as we get them into the church, we can sort any problems out later," mainly because they never do get sorted out.
Respect for others: dealing gently with the beliefs of others is important. ("Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.") If you want people to have respect for you and your faith, you need to have respect for them and their beliefs too. Too many evangelising christians forget this, and i can understand why. But that doesn't make it the right approach. Deal with people the way you would want them to deal with you in the same situation.
So, given this definition of evangelism, talking to one's friends comes under the same banner and needs to be dealt with in the same loving manner. And in the end, there is no point in arguing with someone who is not a position to accept what you have to say. Which brings us to the topic of...well...silent evangelism. James says: "Show me your faith without works,and I will show you my faith by what I do." Actions speak louder than words and James indicates that one's actions should reveal one's faith. My non-christian friends all know that I am a christian and, since I do not feel that any of them are in a position to heed me in discussion about religion (not, I hasten to add, a negative reflection on you guys, you are free to believe what you will, this is simply my perception of the position - if you disagree, then tell me and we can talk to your heart's content!), the most that I can do is exhibit my faith in my daily life. Not that I always succeed, but I do my best, with God's help. Again, this is a matter of having respect for God (and not trying to bully my friends into believing what I believe) and for my friends (who hold different beliefs, which is their choice and their God-given right.)
Evangelism does not, however, set out to make everyone to same. God created the variety found amongst people when he gave us free will and I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to change that. (After all, He's perfect, He doesn't make mistakes.) If the whole world became christian, we would all still be unique, each of us different, with our own points of view, our own foibles and brilliance, our own likes and dislikes. God doesn't aim to make us all the same (however much the state does, sorry, my problem, I'll deal with it...;)). In fact, he doesn't aim to make us anything: once again, He has given us free will, the ability and the right to choose. Would the world be a better place if we were all christians? I suppose it's possible. But, as long as we are sinful and imperfect, I rather doubt it.
That said, Steve also has a valid point here. Too many christians tend to take the route of "my way is the only way to heaven". And that indicates a major flaw in the way they are viewing christianity. There is only one route to heaven or salvation and that is Christ. Only accepting Christ's sacrifice and allowing Him to intercede on your behalf will gain anyone salvation. I cannot emphasise this enough: Christ is the only road to salvation. Anyone who tells you differently is in the process of losing their way. Thus, it is not God or evangelism or christianity which is creating that problem, but individual christians (heh heh, and free will!). Individual christians who (like all of us, I must add) are not perfect, are sinful and very capable of taking the easy way out. (Again, something I will explain if people want to know.)
Similarly, on the topic of the personal nature of spirituality, I would agree with Steve that it doesn't preclude speaking about it with the people you care about, basically for the afore mentioned reasons (see all that long way up the top of this post).
Oh, and I just wanted to add, just because I'm called upon to love everyone, doesn't lessen the enormous affection I have for you all. You guys are the coolest! On top of that, if anyone does want to talk about my beliefs (whether out of curiosity or for the sake of genuine consideration), I am always willing to talk about it without bludgeoning you. You too have free will. (Sorry to keep going on about it: it's of major importance in christianity and is much overlooked!)
I love you all.
5 comments:
I'm not wearing any pants.
Damit Talen, that's my line
Interesting post Karen, I really do enjoy reading digressions on faith and interpretations and it gives me pause to think and consider (especially since Matt's posts seem to be about Christianity and faith most of the time).
I don't see myself as being Christian, but I'd like to believe that in my heart I do believe in god. I just don't feel that it is necessary for me to go to church to enforce that belief. I try to live my life in a manner which doesn't infringe on others well being, I'm willing to lend a helping hand if I feel it's warranted or necessary as well.
Personally, I have nothing against evangelism or the Christian faith (or any religion for that matter) but believe that, given the free will we have, people should be allowed to explore something in their own good time. By seeing Christian people living or behaving in a way that adheres to the teachings of the bible I personally see that as the ideal form of evangelism.
If people see you as being courteous, polite, considerate, loyal (all good traits of a christian I believe), and they know you have a faith in god (because if they know you well enough, they'll know you go to church) then you will be a walking form of evangelism and you won't be trying to ram your opinion down peoples throats.
It's the hard core television evangelists and Jehovah's Witness door knockers (and any other door knockers for that matter) that really irk me the most. I believe that in my mind, I have made peace with whatever great being is up there (be him known as God - or something else) and hopefully when my time comes to pass on I'll be remembered for what good I've done on earth.
Anyway my thoughts on the topic. Felt it was something I'd like to reply to :)
so much to discuss here. sigh...again i'm not comfortable talking about me faith in such a constricted form. this is really a contricted form no matter how long the blog lets you write on and on and on...
my basic belief, and this is probably, mainly because i'm jewish is that evangelism is bad. jews don't try to convert people, mainly due to the whole chosen people thing but really when you think it's kinda rude. (this is my opinon btw which comes my upbringing and my faith, which is different religion and if anyone wants me to explain that email me cuz it aint gonna happen here) having been outright told i was going to hell actually the girl turned toward me, saw my star and asked if i knew i was going to hell. i was in elementary school. it tends to anger me when people try to convert me. this here is where kay and i agree in a way.
as for my faith, again which is different then my religion,there is no judgement. there is no need of salvation because there really is no sin. god is love pure and simple. he doesn't need anything, doesn't want anything and won't stop loving for any reason, even the most horrendous. there is the part too that we are all god, all one which if you want me to go into further detail i will but again not gonna happen here.
basically, i don't preach this, i live it. it's difficult and i'm always to trying to live by it fully, that's actually a big part of my life. i don't preach though, i believe everyone has their own perspective and that's their right. everyone experiences life differently, everyone. there are MANY ways to god not just one. right and wrong are things WE define.
i'll stop ranting and leave you with two statement that help clarify, again not fully since i'm really comfortable doing that here. again if you want to talk about feel free to get my info and we'll talk, promise.
"you don't smile enough. if you saw yourself the way god saw you you'd smile a lot."-conversations with god part 3
"there is nothing you need to say, nothing you need to do, nothing you need to be except exactly who you are now."-conversations with god
again not condemning anyone just giving my point of view. discussion is welcome just not totally in this setting.
completely off topic but i got the sites back. sigh...so no need to send those but a reply email would still be read and responded to. hope all is well hon.
Post a Comment