16 August, 2006

digital curios

For those who care. Oh, and for those curious about the likelihood of either plagiarism or hypocrisy amongst Australian news media...

2 comments:

Fox Lee said...

Ugh. I hate the way people trot out "something that is pioneering the way for the future" every time somebody comes up with a new, progressively uglier, CG gadget. Like it's not enough that animation companies keep ditching traditional animation projects for CG because Disney's shitty, shitty traditional-animation stories/characters/direction kept being mistaken for people preferring CG to cels. Bah.

Have you caught the ads for this thing? The movements are good, but the face... he has virtually no facial expressiveness. I can't imagine why they would settle for such a failure in terms of the most important physical part a person, in terms of communication between people.

Space Ghost could kick this guy's arse.

Anonymous said...

I can't help wondering: why bother? Now you have a team of animators, CG artists, mocap guys, voice actor, motion actor, etc. - basically a whole Tech Team - to do what it takes one real person to do. OK, so I guess the unemployment rate goes down by one millionth of a percent, but why not just find A PERSON who could do it? I told myself I wouldn't bag it out until I had seen it (or more likely in my case, NOT seen it), but it does seem like a fairly pointless excercise. Guess it doesn't really matter much in the scheme of things, though.

Also want to agree with Jess about missing traditional animated cartoons. Although the Full Metal Alchemist movie (FMA: Conqueror of Shamballa) got voted best animated film award at Fantasia this year. So maybe we will start to see more NOT DISNEY 2D animated stuff coming back? I'm not eaxctly holding my breath for that, though.