In an effort to remember people for their work - I mean, for the beautiful things they created - rather than the sordid (or not so sordid) details of their life, I present the following:
Also because he had a very strong sense of imagery and knew how to use the language: I just can't resist "effulgence" and I love the image of a "lumbering obsolete/arsenal of gigantic horn and plate/from a time when half the world still burned". Plus this is how I learned the words "autoclave" and "pyrotechnics." (It's the third poem I ever learnt off by heart, right after 'Jabberwocky' from Alice's Adventure's Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll and 'The Highwayman' by Alfred Noyes. I was twelve.)
Oh, and because (not meaning to directly criticise anyone and simply wanting to very strongly state my opinion) poetry is not intellectual wanking and there is nothing wrong with delighting in the language and the power of verse. Poetry has its place and I revel in its depth, its power, its grace. When done well, it means beautifully.
Stare at the monster: remark- "Famous Poet" by Ted Hughes
how difficult it is to define just what
amounts to monstrosity in that
very ordinary appearance. Neither thin nor fat,
hair between light and dark,
and the general air
of an apprentice - say, an apprentice house-
painter amid an assembly of famous
architects: the demeanour is of mouse,
yet is he monster.
First scrutinize those eyes
for the spark, the effulgence: nothing. nothing there
but the haggard stony exhaustion of a near-
finished variety artist. He slumps in his chair
like a badly hurt man, half life-size.
Is it his dreg-boozed inner demon
still tankarding from tissue and follicle
the vital fire, the spirit electrical
that puts the gloss on a normal hearty male?
Or is it women?
The truth - bring it on
with black drapery, drums, and funeral thread
like a great man's coffin - no, no, he is not dead
but in this truth surely half-buried:
once, the humiliation
of youth and obscurity,
the autoclave of heady ambition trapped,
the fermenting of the yeasty heart stopped -
burst with such pyrotechnics the dull world gaped
and "repeat that!" still they cry.
But all his efforts to concoct
the old heroic bang from their money and praise,
from the parent's pointing finger and the child' amaze,
even from the burning of his wreathed bays,
have left him wrecked: wrecked,
and monstrous, so,
as a stegosourus, a lumbering obsolete
arsenal of gigantic horn and plate
from a time when half the world still burned, set
to blink behind bars at the zoo.
Also because he had a very strong sense of imagery and knew how to use the language: I just can't resist "effulgence" and I love the image of a "lumbering obsolete/arsenal of gigantic horn and plate/from a time when half the world still burned". Plus this is how I learned the words "autoclave" and "pyrotechnics." (It's the third poem I ever learnt off by heart, right after 'Jabberwocky' from Alice's Adventure's Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll and 'The Highwayman' by Alfred Noyes. I was twelve.)
Oh, and because (not meaning to directly criticise anyone and simply wanting to very strongly state my opinion) poetry is not intellectual wanking and there is nothing wrong with delighting in the language and the power of verse. Poetry has its place and I revel in its depth, its power, its grace. When done well, it means beautifully.
2 comments:
While I was reading this, I thought that it was YOUR writing, Karen, and I was like "How the hell did she know autoclave? Wow...". It wasn't until the end that I realised that it wasn't yours (I probably should be able to pick stylistic/topic differences, but lets assume for one minute that I am a poorly-read science student without a creative bone in their body, OK?). Anyway, very nice.
And I also agree that poetry is not intellectual wanking (although there are of course exceptions to this). I fell in love with T.S. Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" when I was 10 - WELL before I knew what intellectualism was (actually, I think I just made up the work intellectualism, but you know what I mean). The pretty words had nice rhythm, and I could feel that they meant something more, and so I read it over and over again (and still continue to do so to this day). So if a 10 year old without a concept of literature can find something appealing in poetry, then it can't be all elitism and wankery. I think.
Mmm, 'Prufrock'. I love 'Prufrock'. Not as much as 'Rhapsody on a Windy Night', but still, mmm, 'Prufrock'. "When the evening is spread out against the sky/Like a patient etherised upon a table..." *drool* Oh and, "I've measured out my life in coffee spoons." How shiny is that?! How moving. How poignantly expressed.
And I understand how he feels: "Would it have been worth while,/To have bitten off the matter with a smile,/To have squeezed the universe into a ball/To roll it toward some overwhelming question,/To say: “I am Lazarus, come from the dead,/Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all”—/If one, settling a pillow by her head,/Should say: “That is not what I meant at all./That is not it, at all.”
Colour me Polonius. (Sorry. Enthusing.)
Post a Comment