Courtesy of Neil Gaiman's blog, a review of Mirrormask, Gaiman's soon to be released (well, released Friday to be accurate) film, one of many optioned by various film studios but the very first to actually be made. Despite the fact that the individual who penned this was unimpressed with Mirrormask (not making a judgement call myself, since I have not yet seen it), has shown a wont of understanding of everything in the same genre (from Alice to Neverending Story to The Labyrinth) and is dismissive of the concept that a graphic novel can be art, I love his opening: "The contemporary zeal for graphic novels—fiction, let us remember, equipped with drawings and speech bubbles—has, to this spectator, encouraged the emperor to parade before an adoring public in a threadbare Speedo, if that."
I'd also like to note Gaiman's response to this: "Is Hollywood Ready For Neil Gaiman? asks www.zap2it.com but alas, according to the Village Voice the answer is WAKE UP! PEOPLE! THE DUDE USED TO WRITE COMICS! I'm honestly not sure when I've enjoyed being patronised by a bad review more."
I have to love a man who can accept bald insults and misplaced criticism simply because of language usage.
I'd also like to note Gaiman's response to this: "Is Hollywood Ready For Neil Gaiman? asks www.zap2it.com but alas, according to the Village Voice the answer is WAKE UP! PEOPLE! THE DUDE USED TO WRITE COMICS! I'm honestly not sure when I've enjoyed being patronised by a bad review more."
I have to love a man who can accept bald insults and misplaced criticism simply because of language usage.
No comments:
Post a Comment