There has been much discussion lately (in various ways and in the course of different discussions) about the bible, about what it is and isn't and about what it does and doesn't say and mean, about how one should interpret it, or if one should interpret it at all. Christians and non-christians alike have voiced opinions, here and there. Accusations have been slung in subtle and occasionally barbed ways, misunderstandings and disagreements have been handled with both tact and rudeness, reproachments and apologies have occurred.
But I have this to say: the bible is not the core of our faith. It is an aid to that faith, certainly, and an important part in a continuing relationship and communication with God. But it is not at the heart of our faith.
Christ is.
Okay, the bible includes the reported teachings of Jesus, but it is not the only place to do so. Nor does it include other testimonies regarding Him, testimonies that were once a part of the bible as we know it. And yes, the bible is considered by us to be the inspired word of God. Thus, it is God speaking to us. But this is not the only way He does so. The bible is one way in which God guides us in our daily walk with Him, but doesn't the Holy Spirit do the same thing?
The bible is important. I'm not saying it isn't. But the bible is not what the faith is about. The bible is law, not Faith. And it is the latter we should be primarily concerned with. Faith. Faith in Christ and His sacrifice for our sins so that one day we can have a full and perfect relationship with the great and pure God who created us out of love. I'm not trying to lessen the importance of the bible: it is very important as part of a relationship with God. The bible provides us with teachings to guide us in our faith and help us live lives worthy of Him but the bible is not God.
I simply feel that this is an important distinction to make. Otherwise, Paul wrote the book of Hebrews in vain.
But I have this to say: the bible is not the core of our faith. It is an aid to that faith, certainly, and an important part in a continuing relationship and communication with God. But it is not at the heart of our faith.
Christ is.
Okay, the bible includes the reported teachings of Jesus, but it is not the only place to do so. Nor does it include other testimonies regarding Him, testimonies that were once a part of the bible as we know it. And yes, the bible is considered by us to be the inspired word of God. Thus, it is God speaking to us. But this is not the only way He does so. The bible is one way in which God guides us in our daily walk with Him, but doesn't the Holy Spirit do the same thing?
The bible is important. I'm not saying it isn't. But the bible is not what the faith is about. The bible is law, not Faith. And it is the latter we should be primarily concerned with. Faith. Faith in Christ and His sacrifice for our sins so that one day we can have a full and perfect relationship with the great and pure God who created us out of love. I'm not trying to lessen the importance of the bible: it is very important as part of a relationship with God. The bible provides us with teachings to guide us in our faith and help us live lives worthy of Him but the bible is not God.
I simply feel that this is an important distinction to make. Otherwise, Paul wrote the book of Hebrews in vain.
14 comments:
I Agree With This Statement.
I, too, find this statement worth agreeing with, though I do so with more enthusiasm, and a modicum of wit!
Such genius! I agree with far more enthusiasm than the individuals also named anonymous who have posted before myself! For that matter, those who disagree with you are clearly fools and dullards.
Bit full of yourself, are you not? I, who am very different from the other three individuals mentioned here, think that you are letting their comments go to your head. I am a cool and independent thinker, unlike you, who clearly just blogs for the praise of those who read it.
Don't listen to that other individual who is definitely not me, despite our familial resemblence. He merely trolls such blogs looking for attention in this vein.
Uhhhh... yeah. I have to say, it's an interesting perspective, but surely, the Bible is the only actual image of Christ we have, innit? I do agree with you though - the actual heart of the Faith should be the progenitor of it, but you don't find the actual proponents of said Faith saying that (yours being one voice in many).
(Side note, Lords, but you got plenty of traffic, btw, Laurel-Li; you been dropping your blog address off to spam bots or emo kids or summat?)
Hmm. I think I agree with your point. But the implications of it are dangerous. We need to have some way to evaluate the guidance we feel we are recieving from the holy spirit, and IMHO that needs to be in the comparison of its message to that of the bible.
My point is this. One thing has to be the buck stop. If not, then everything is subjective and nothing can be certian. Jesus is the thing we are trying to understand, but the building block have to be things that has some solidarity.
I dont know if im making any sence. I agree, but there is a dangerous direction you can go from here.
Thoughts? Am I making any sence.
Like I said, I'm not trying to lessen the importance of the bible. I just think that it isn't the end: it's a means. Christ is what we should focus on, not the nitty gritty of language and what Paul says that differs from what James says etc etc ad nauseum. None of that helps. In fact, it distracts us from what matters, which is Christ and living the message of the gospel. Wasn't this the resaon why some books came to be considered apocryphal, because they did not fit with "the message" of the bible overall?
Talen: the anonymous posts were all Tim. Hence the exaggerated phrasing and the constant references to not being the person previously posting. He read your post about waiting for people to comment. Hence the number of posts. I mean, yes, emo kids and spam bots. Both by the handful. But then I have very little hands
I see your point regarding the bible. There are, however, non-Biblical sources about Christ, other historical sources. But the bible is important and I certainly don't mean to say it isn't. It's simply that it is not the core of the faith and I feel too much emphasis is being placed on the small details.
Actually, the anonymous posts were all me.
*blush* My bad. It was just the fact that it came immediately after Tim's post. Dude, you are heaps cool!
Ironic humour is so hard to do well. Self-referential ironic humour is even harder, especially when the reference isn't readily apparent.
hehehehohohohhahahah THUD
...
(gets back on to chair, clears throat)
Sorry. Talen, LL, you guys are a riot.
In reference to the original post - Thankyou LL, I've been noticing a number of people talking about this efermental 'core of the faith' and was going to demand a definition. You beat me to the punch butifully.
No no, you're wonderful and very good at it. I'm just thick. :)
Glad to be found entertaining? And you're welcome?
Post a Comment