02 October, 2005

parallel universes and me

Okay, yes, it's been a Neil Gaiman week. But when I open his blog and read that he (one of my all time favourite artistic types) was interviewed with Joss Whedon (another of my all time favourite artistic types) by Time magazine, I spent several minutes staring at my computer screen, then announced to the world at large "What the fuck?"

As arrogant (or ignorant) as it may sound, it never really occurred to me that Joss and Neil lived in the same world. It was more as though I lived in the real world and, off to my left, there was a parallel universe in which lived Neil Gaiman (along with Tori Amos and Jeanette Winterson and Geoff Ryman), since someone that cool could not possibly live in the same world as me. On the right is yet another universe, in which resides Joss Whedon (and Orson Scott Card and Aimee Mann. And Kevin Smith.) It's weird but I just can't picture the two of them living in the same world. If I really think about it I can see the similarities but, still, it just isn't right.

Oddly enough, this is the first time the two of them had come into contact. And they spend the whole time talking at cross purposes. Intelligently and saying interesting things, but still at odds. And one of them was physically present while the other was only there via the 'net. Maybe they were talking across dimensions.

No comments: