04 October, 2005

through the looking glass

I just finished reading the screenplay of Mirrormask and, to quote Jess regarding Serenity, "Oh my fucking God!" Screw the bad reviews (though most of them were actually very positive) - screw the back-biting comments about the fact that Gaiman writes 'comic books' - Dave McKean would have to do something seriously dreadful (like bring about the apocalyse or kill many small animals) to fuck this up. The script is as good as The Labyrinth combined with Hamlet while still being distinctly Gaiman. The visuals are spectacular (though very Dave McKean, so those who don't like his art are going to have to give me a little leeway here), the dialogue incredible, the humour just balanced on the macabre (like Neverwhere or Coraline for those who have read them), the characterisation so extraordinarily natural for a film including such exotic and fantastic characters, the balance between Helena and the world she finds herself in absolutely awe-inspiring. I cannot truly begin to explain exactly how kick-arse this script is (along with colour spreads from behind the scenes and shots from the movie itself, and the signature of Gaiman himself on the fly leaf - thank you, Karen!), except to say everyone has to see this movie (that means you especially, Hook).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

want to check it out, will probably rent it when it comes to the store. saw something about in the trade mags and it said it was like dark crystal. anything that molds itself like a henson film is worth a shot with me.

btw did you see serenity?

Laurel-li said...

Haven't seen Serenity yet, alas. Requires me getting near a cinema, though I was invited to a premiere at which Joss appeared. I couldn't go because I was too sick to go up to Sydney.

Btw, Mirrormask is a Henson production! Though the budget for The Labyrinth was 40 million american and the budget for Mirromask was 4 (which, as Neil Gaiman says, is a lot of money if you find it in an abandoned suitcase in a hollow tree but isn't a lot in fantasy film-making.) So if it is as good as I hope/think, I m even more impressed.

Anonymous said...

cool, love henson! have to check it out.

Laurel-li said...

But you promised me an email! A month ago. Wait... *shame face*... sorry Jess, I will write. Got your promotion yet?

Anonymous said...

i'm used to delayed email from tim, it's part of his charm. tis k tim, i know you're busy, i've been meaning to email as well. and karen i understand with you as well, got you comment too so i feel loved.

as for the promotion....was going to zionsville but it wasn't full time and we're still being made to cut hours so we'll see. with two of the stores closing we should pick up and then roy said he'd promote me.

wait...tim did you say you were coming to visit me?